Friday, March 13, 2009

leprechauns at BJ's school

Thought you guys should know that the leprechauns are already out and taunting the kiddoes at BJ's school. They did this last year too and the kids are all excited about these pesky leprechauns that are so sneaky and fast.

Particularly at night and at naptime, these little sneaky creatures come into the classrooms and the hallways and leave little hints that they were there, such as four leaf clovers in the kids cubbies, they mistakenly drop their gold coins (chocolate of course) en route or leave a few in the cubbies. They like to taunt the children by leaving cotton in someone's shoes (at nap time). We know their path b/c they always leave sparkly dust (glitter) behind them. Last year they loved to hide things in the sand box outside, but this year there is still snow covering the ground.

Today the kids all wore green to school and they are going on a big scavenger hunt.

So this morning as our two boys were eating breakfast, I shared a little story with them from my childhood. Mary Bess, you might remember this?

When I was a little girl, probably six or seven years old, I had just woken up, still in my pajamas, and came downstairs. I was sitting on the carpet in the dining room looking into the kitchen (must have been spring break) and all of a sudden, out of nowhere, Aunt Mary Bess came up and pinched me, so hard that it made me cry! At this point, CJ and BJ were speechless, mouths open in shock, and not eating their cereal!!! Surely not Aunt Mary Bess!!!

So I then explained the idea that if you're not wearing green on 3/17 someone might pinch you. I reassured them that I got over it, and then pointed out to Mary Bess that the pjs I was wearing, with the pink flowers on them, in fact DID have green on them, the leaves on the stems!

Then we talked about how to do a "love" pinch, not a "pinch your sister so she cries" pinch.

I'm over it now Mary Bess:) But I haven't forgotten it!

3 comments:

Francie said...

You know, as you mention Aunt Mary Bess, I still think of our Aunt Mary Bess! Cute story

palouseygoosey said...

How is our Aunt Mary Bess? I think our boys usually call our sister Aunt Bess, but every once in a while I slip and call her Aunt Mary Bess:) I love both names dearly.

Mary Bess said...

Oh girl!! I remember!! And I'm so sorry that I pinched you so hard!!! Wow....that brings back memories. Yes, a 'love pinch' would have been much better, eh?!! Love ya!! (call me Aunt Bess please! That makes me smile!)