Since school has started this semester, Rick has been walking to school, leaving just a little earlier than the boys and I need to, so we were delighted yesterday when he said he would be joining us on our morning drop off routine. We grew quite accustomed last winter to the whole family starting each day together as a part of our morning "get everyone out the door and to school" routine and we've missed Rick thus far for the 08-09 school year.
We took CJ to his school promptly at 8:20, which is a real challenge for us every day, me trying to squeeze in running time at the gym before I wake the boys up.
We always say something like "be good to your friends today" or "listen to your teacher today" or "do something nice for a friend today" or "tell us something you learned at school when we get home tonight..." followed by "we love you..." when we drop them off.
Then we went to BJ's school. As I was getting BJ out of the car, Rick said to him something along the lines of "BJ, make today your greatest day ever!"
To which BJ replied, "I can't daddy" or "It can't be daddy."
And Rick and I looked at each other a little frightened...and Rick asked why not?
BJ said, "I've already had my best day daddy."
We both looked at each other, and I'm sure he was thinking what I was thinking, how could a 4 year old know that his best days are over and all further days will be less than the best? A pretty profound statement from a 4 year old.
Rick said, "What do you mean BJ?"
He grinned his BJ grin and said, "Daddy, my best days are when mommy comes to read to my class!" Then he smiled at me, and happily jumped out of the car to start 'Fun Friday' at his school that we love so much!
Oh did my heart warm right up and practically melt as I stood in the middle of the street looking at my precious little boy.
I had no idea how much it meant to him that I've come to read to his class the last two Mondays in a row. I was actually considering skipping this week with my schedule at my own school, but not any more! You can bet I'll be there promptly at 2:15 on Monday with some good books in hand and a smile to read with his class!!!!
You never know what the little things do in someone else's life. Rick and I really make an effort to let people know how much we appreciate you guys and the boys' teachers, but sometimes you'll never know the impact the littlest things can have in someone else's day:)
Have a great weekend!
3 comments:
Wow! What a smart kiddo! Very profound!
It's true...you just never know when the littlest thing you do can have such a huge impact on someone during a day! Rock on!
This post just makes me smile and smile and smile. Ezra has now started to bring books to me to read to him. I think it's the sweetest thing. He will sometimes even sit right down in my lap without me even prompting him to do so. Isn't it so interesting that such a tiny thing (reading a book that takes maybe all of 1 minute - at least the books we're reading these days) makes someone happy. Thank you for all the books you have given Ezra! You've added quite a few to our collection!
Yes. I have happy tears in my eyes, for you. Those are a mom's rewards. Write them down today. You may not remember tomorrow.
Post a Comment